Sunday, February 6, 2011

Claudia Skirt Update #3 - nearly done

This has been a terrifically fun skirt to knit -- it's not done yet, so I mustn't get ahead of myself.  It's about 90% complete.  Not only did I use thicker yarn than the pattern called for -- and compensated by making a smaller size -- I also changed needle sizes when I began the eyelet pattern.  I love gored skirts and wanted to really emphasize the way the panels were expanding.  So I changed from a 3.5 mm to a 4mm which gave me an increase in width, without increasing stitches. 

As a result, the skirt is getting longer, faster than the pattern calls for.  Increasing the needle size may end up being a mistake, but for now I am claiming victory.  I have several more repeats -- 48 more rounds to be exact -- before I am told to cast off.  However, as you can see, it's already 16 inches, which when measured against my frame, brings the skirt to an inch or two above my knee.  I don't have much more to go.

This skirt will also get washed and blocked which will stretch it out a bit more as well.  I have about 4 more inches to knit, so will need to order more yarn. That sad, proud, wee ball of purple is all I have left.  I plan to finish it off with the same purple.

I love the way the colours merge together.  Thanks Elann and Adara. 

Plan is to finish knitting this soon, make modifications to the pattern, and then spin and dye my own locally sourced yarn -- thus creating a 100 Mile Skirt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment