Saturday, August 4, 2012

Status update on my 100-mile skirt


It's a hot day here in Glen Valley, threatening to go up to 32 degrees by mid-afternoon.  So I thought I'd catch some time indoors next to the fan and do an update on the 100-mile skirt.

A while back I combed a bundle of the grey alpaca and divided what I had done into two batches.  I've spun most of that onto two bobbins -- very fine with a light twist. Even though this spinning has produced a lot of yardage, I may need more.  So I asked my friend if she would return the bag of grey alpaca I gave her.  It is so nice to have understanding friends.

I have next to spin an equal amount of the blue fibre -- totally amazing stuff from Sweet Georgia Yarns fibre club.  Titled "Placid Waters" it is 50% merino, 25%  bamboo and 25% tussah silk.  It has a wonderful sheen and subtle gradations of blues.  As with the grey alpaca, I underestimated how much I would need, so again in a mild panic and relying on the kindness of friends, I asked another dear friend if I could have her braid of "plaid waters".  She willingly gave up her braid and for that I am very thankful.

Now I have no excuse to procrastinate.  I have more than enough fibre to do the job and a good chunk of time on my hands.  My problem is my own attention span.  I like starting projects and trying new things.  The part where you have to finish is the part that takes a lot of discipline.  Right now, this project is in the spinning marathon phase.  Just sit and spin.  And spin.  And then ply, and ply.  And so forth until I have what I figure is enough to get the job done and the skirt made.

Then it's a knitting triathlon as there are different aspects to the skirt. That I can manage, what with my transit assisted commute to the city.  I'm aiming to wear this skirt by Thanksgiving.  See if I'm right.

2 comments:

  1. The yarn you are spinning is to die for. Love the colours you are choosing.
    It is 36.2C in Ashcroft this afternoon and we are sitting with 2 air conditioners going and it barely keeping up. Tomorrow is to be hotter -- we could see 40C. No knitting in this house with temps like this. I sweat just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Ann, this hot spell won't last long -- and you'll be knitting again in no time.

    ReplyDelete