Friday, April 15, 2011

Studio Clean Up - "A Place for Everything"

I haven't done much in my studio lately, partly because I've been busy with work -- travelling around, doing presentations and training events.  But the real reason is because it is such a disaster I can't find my way around it. Lately I've gotten into the habit of dashing into the room to grab/find something and mostly leaving without it, 'cause I can't find it, or 'cause I can't stand being there.

I don't exactly remember when it got out of control. I think it was when I was organizing things for the Drop Spindling class I taught at FibresWest.  I pulled a lot of things out of boxes and bins and reorganized them for the workshop, and never got things back to their rightful place.  And then after the event itself -- I scarcely had time to get in the door from that, when I was off to another town to do some literacy work.  There are some boxes I still haven't unpacked from the workshop.

Then I bundled up new boxes and such for the full day demonstrations at the Bradner Flower Show last Saturday.  So the mess got even more messed up.

Now I have to do something about this.  What's the point of having a space to do art if you can't make your way into the room and hate being there? 

Here are the boxes and such from the spinning workshop and demonstration.


Here's the other side of the room.  I have somehow managed to fill every empty space with some piece of fibre in various stages of production, or a tool or piece of equipment. There's scarcely any room to actually "do art".  Enough.


These will stand as "before" shots.  I am going to now leave the computer and set myself to organizing this space so it is a functional studio.  I will post "after" shots tomorrow.

A place for everything, and everything in its place. 

Yeah right.

2 comments: