Saturday, March 16, 2013

Skirt Update IV


I blew my right knee spinning so the skirt won't be ready for FibresWest. It's true. The story is pathetic because it was an entirely preventable injury.

In a short while, I did a marathon amount of spinning to get enough grey alpaca and blue merino/silk onto 4 bobbins. No problem, knee was fine. Then I started plying them last Thursday evening. Remember, this is a cabled yarn so this stage of plying has a lot of twist in it, which required a great deal of treadling. I got this one above started, and then realized that I had a "Wild Silk" spinning workshop on Saturday and needed the wheel, so I had to madly finish the plying on Friday night. I was sitting on the couch and it's too low so my knee was doing more of the work than usual. But in my frenzy to finish I ignored the pain and never even considered moving to a better chair or position. What's wrong with me?


And then to add to the problem, I spent the entire next day at a silk spinning workshop. And if you know anything about spinning silk, it's fine and requires a lot of twist - ergo treadling. Nothing that a couple of Advil couldn't handle. After the workshop I wanted to get back to the yarn for the skirt so I spent the evening plying the second bobbin.  My knee was aching, but I kept at it because I wanted to finish the yarn, so I could get back to knitting the skirt.

The next day I was limping around the house and couldn't go for my morning run. In fact, I haven't been able to do any running since -- well it's only been a week, but I miss it. It's on the mend, but I've learned a good lesson:

Pay attention to PAIN. It's a signal that something's not right.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get better soon! Watch that knee in the future Ms. Spring Chicken:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are 100% soon. I will have to be very patient and wait for the skirt as that knee needs to heal first.

    ReplyDelete