Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sweet Georgia Yarns - February - April 2011 Fibre Club

Felicia Lo at Sweet Georgia Yarns has a Fibre Club.  Once a month, for three months in a row -- you get a braid of wonderfully dyed unspun fibre.  It's a lovely way to experiment with new fibres and new spinning techniques.

Along with the fibre that you get with the club -- approximately 4 oz -- I ordered the additional amount. Which is double.  My thought was that I would experiement with the first braid and then settle in with a well considered spinning approach for the second braid.

Here are the results:

This is the February fibre.  It's called "Sticky Jam". It is 75% Bluefaced Leicester and 25% Tussah Silk.

I spun this very fine on my drop spindle and plyed it on my Ashford Traditional.
This double-ply skein is about 7/8ths of a braid.  So there's more to go.








The March fibre is called "Placid Waters".  It is 50% merino wool, 25% bamboo and 25% tussah silk.
Felicia Lo encouraged us to maintain the richness of the colourways by Navajo plying it.  The result is lovely and well advised.

The three skeins are the products of an entire braid. 





The April fibre is Falkland wool and the colourway is called "Vintage Postcards".  The spinning advice was for spinning a low-twist single.  And the second advice is to spin slubs (a thick and thin yarn). 

Haven't yet tried the slubs, but the skein shown is a low twist single.  It's about 2/3rds of a braid.



That was time well spent.

So there's a lot more spinning to do as I takle the second braid in each colourway.  Will try slightly different spinning techniques so I can really explore the fibre. 

And of course I signed up for the next Fibre Club - May to July!

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh my, look at that beautiful soft low-twist single... mmm. Beautiful handspun, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog via sweetgeorgia's twitter. I love the entire concept of what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete