So, I took the bag of fibre and tossed it onto the garden for the rest of the week. Over the week, as we had bouts of rain and sunshine, it got soaked and dried out repeatedly. A couple of days ago I retrieved it, towel dried it and put it by the stove to really dry.
I am absolutely amazed how clean this fibre is. There is no dirt in it at all, and only a trace amount of lanolin. Here is a photo of it. Bottom corner are the clean locks, at the top is a combed nest, and along the side is a hand carded rolag from the combed waste.
Here's the whole lot of the experiment, combed up and waiting to be spun. It's beautiful stuff -- not damaged or affected at all by super hot water or harsh chemicals.
While it was easy to spin, the trick was keeping it warm. When the fibre was cold, the lanolin was a bit sticky. It's generally chilly in this semi-insulated farmhouse, so I kept the fibre waiting to be spun, on the warming stove in our front room.
I didn't want to remove any of the lanolin from this yarn, so I've wet it again in rain water. The stuff is ice cold, so I brought a bucket of it into the house, where it may at least get to room temperature in several hours.
Here's my lovely skein soaking. I'll let it do this for a few hours, to make sure the fibres get good and wet and then I'll hang it to dry.
I can't wait to knit this up and see what it's like. Imagine, this beautiful yarn from fibre made clean with rain water and time, plenty of time.