Saturday, January 4, 2014

Figuring out what's left

Ever get to the end of a knitting project and want to have enough to cast off and at the same time make sure you use all the yarn?

I have figured out a way to do this.

Prior to this I would do the "three times the length" and add another length for good measure as a way to make sure I had enough yarn to cast off. This doesn't always work and I have found that out the hard way. It is also really difficult to do with pieces that are being knit in the round and are all scrunched up.

So this is how I've solved the problem. I used my scale. I have a very sensitive scale that measures grams into the decimal points. So at the beginning of a row for my 100-Mile Skirt, I weighed the yarn. Knit all around and weighed it again. Got a measure. Did this a few more times and came up with an average. and rounded up.

I have 14.7 grams of yarn left. It takes approximately 4 grams per round. So that means I can do 3.675 rounds. That means two more rounds and a cast-off round with confidence.

That's a switch.


And here's what's left as I started the bind-off row.

Yes, the bind-off row. Photos later on the FINISHED, blocked skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment