Monday, May 28, 2012

The wonder of tools

It always amazes me what you can do, or how much you can get done when you have the right tools. I have owned my wool combs for at least seven years now and I have finally purchased a wool comb clamp.

What on earth is a wool comb clamp? It is a simple tool that holds your wool comb in place so you can pull the fibre off the comb using two hands, and not one. It's a luxury item if you comb fibre once a year.  It's a necessity if combed fibre is an essential aspect of your workshop materials -- and you are doing it weekly.

Duh.

This is a specially made clamp for my wonderful, hard wearing Forsyth mini wool combs.


In addition to the clamp, I have also added the diz to my repertoire of necessary tools.



In the past I have dissed the diz, thinking it a finicky and unnecessary tool for pulling wool off the end of a comb. But with my hands freed by the wool comb clamp, I suddenly saw the benefit of having a tool that helped to determine the amount of fibre that came off with each tug. And really, why not?

A diz is neither a high-tech or expensive tool. In fact, in my case it's a large button.




I use that dental floss looped stuff to help feed the sliver of wool through one of the four holes. And man oh man, it makes life so much easier.

What was I thinking? Some kind of Puritan I-don't-need-fancy-tools, I-can-do-it-the-primitive-way approach.

Well bollocks to that.  It's nearly magic. I was able to comb up three times the amount I usually do in a sitting, and I wasn't tired and sore.  When you have the right tools you can get the job done efficiently and effectively.  In so doing you can also minimize wear and tear on your body.  What's not to like about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment