Saturday, January 22, 2011

Two New Wheels

We have two new wheels in our home.  Well, they aren't new in the sense of just having come off the woodshop floor, they are new to me.

The first is a Majacraft Suzie that I purchased today from a dear friend.  As you can see, it is well used and shows the dents and scratches of having been tossed into the back seat of a car for transport to a guild meeting, or evening spin-in.  I'm giving it a good sanding and covering with natural Minwax, just to restore the old gal a bit.  Then a good rubbing with tung oil will keep the wood happy.


Isn't she a beauty?  I tried spinning on it while at Liz's house and really struggled with the double treadle -- it kept spinning the opposite way that I wanted it to go.  I am used to the single treadle, and if necessary, grabbing the spokes of the wheel and giving that a whirl to get things moving in the right direction.  Seems that I am right back a square on learning how to spin.

The next wheel that's new to the house is an Ashford Traditional.  This one has spent the last 17 years on display in someone's living room.  They decided to rennovate and change decorating themes, and alas, she needed a new home.  A generous woman called me and asked me if I'd take it off her hands, otherwise, it was going to be landfill.  I picked it up and was amazed to see that with only a wee bit of tinkering, this would be a fully functional wheel.



The top photo is the wheel sanded and washed.  The bottom photo is the wheel with one coat of "Early American 202" Minwax.  I think I'll do a couple of coats to bring out the richness of the wood.  It needs a drive band, brake band and tension nob.  No problemo.

These wheels will be added to my other two wheels, another Ashford Traditional and a Thumbelina - cute little castle wheel from New Zealand -- making a fleet of wheels.  I plan to teach spinning classes in my home this summer, and folks don't have to own a wheel yet. 

Gotta dream big.




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Great finds! Lucky you to get these new wheels, and lucky wheels to find such a good home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice wheels...great stain colour also, that was Dad's fav and one he used on all our pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting to read what you plan to do with your Susie. I have one and my dogs have managed to trash the treadles with scratch marks (what part of 'don't mess with my toys?" do they not understand?!)

    I love my Susie, my first wheel and my favorite! Hope you enjoy yours too :)

    ReplyDelete